Last Era, Evening Stroll Last Era, Evening Stroll

Even though nobody asked for it, I felt like dropping by and saying some choice words here, so here we go:

Immediately after listening to this, I want to ask a question: Why doesn't it loop? :( It literally starts and ends with almost the same part, so I don't see why not. But meh, it's a nitpick, it'd just have worked so well.
I feel like the lead instruments are given too much leeway in the mix, without actually having the space to do that. The first lead instrument, the steel drumish thing is a perfect example, but it also applies a little to the piano also, and the synth at 3:35ish is which caused me to question this. :(
Conversely, I feel the bass should have more space in the mix. The bassline is nice, it should be audible :(
The piece doesn't evolve. :| Lucky we have solid melodies and drum programming to make up to that.

The drums (kick, snare, hats) are also far back in the mix, but on the other hand, it gives them a background-ish feeling. Still feels like they should have a little bit more breath room.
The choice of the soundfont with the synths give it the feel of an old RPG. I can't say that it's bad though.

The melodies. Even though the piece doesn't evolve in itself much (if at all), the melodies do a lot of work to keep the interest up. :)
The drum sounds are from the soundfont, so not so much to say about that, but the drum fills and variations are very well done. :) Not humanized too well, mind you, but considering the RPGish GM sound, it doesn't really hurt the piece.
The synths sound great :)
It has a nice feel to it. Not the same feel as a live band performing with a lot of soul in it, but more like a how a great game soundtrack does things.

In short, it is a nice listen. The mixing has its shortcomings, but it's not that everything isn't audible, it's more not everything being in their place. A stationary piece chord progression-wise, but the melodies do their best to try and vary it up. Its merits help overlook a lot of teeny-tiny negatives I propably didn't even notice.

Darknessbreaker responds:

Hey, thanks for dropping by and leaving the kind of review i love to read :)

Well... the loop thing just didn't come to my mind i guess, although it may sound really great. I wanted it to end how it started so i really couldve just looped this one :)
I guess i made some mistakes here and there when i decided how loud the components of the song should be. I did it with my earphones and the bass sounded great that way but without my earphones, it sounds pretty far away so i guess i just should've done that without my earphones oO. I should really re-balance this without earphones, i guess. For the drums, i am not too sure though. Gotta experiment with them a bit.
We first decided to do most of it in the FluidR3_GM Soundfont but then i tried jclive. I think, jclive really gives the feel of a nice old RPG thing which i personally really like.

Oh yeah the melodies. Especially the piano is what stays in my head for sooo long. It's so catchy to me :)
For the drums, I thought it wouldnt be enough to just have one drum cycle throughout the entire song, so i added another one (after expermenting a bit in another song of mine last year). I think it adds much altho it is, as you said, not really humanized.
The synths really are awesome. Probs to K-Pone (if i am not mistaken, he made the ZynAddSubFX-synths). ^^

Thank you once again for saying your thoughts on this one. It really, really helps me out. I'll try to fix some problems this week and try not to do the same mistakes in my next songs. :)

Memory of Life [Remix] Memory of Life [Remix]

First and foremost: This is awfully quiet. It's an inconvenience to the listener, and no, it doesn't pass as "dynamics" in this case :( Not that big a deal if one can afford to triple that volume, i.e. nothing is going on in the background, or one's just focusing on listening to this track, but it's bad otherwise.

You replaced the echo-effect in the original track with a reverb. It's not a bad choice really. GBA didn't really have a reverb-effect, which is what I believe Shogo Sakai would have gone for is there was one.

Captures the feeling really nicely. Not much to gripe about really :)

Overall, there's not much to say about this honestly. It's a well crafted piano remix about a great track. It's fine sound-wise, but to hear this, one has to triple the volume, which is an inconvenience. Just a quick amplification in Audacity or something would do wonders.

NyxTheShield responds:

Thanks!! I think you are right, i mixed this with my Ipod earbuds (My Sennheisers died :c), so i had t mix them at low volumes. Thanks ^^

Assuage Assuage

Very ear-piercing loud hats. Reducing their volume wouldn't go amiss. :(
You almost have a loop here. You could easily make it so, since the ending is LAZY! :(

The drums stay in the same basic rhythm, but the odd groove makes up for it the first times, and you vary it up sufficiently. :|
I'd say you could do humanization, as in vary up the volume of each other hi-hat hit. :|
The song doesn't go anywhere, but you vary it up just enough to make it work in my opinion. :|
Not exactly memorable, but then again, not everything has to be. Some songs exist just for the pure feel of it. Does this song have that? I'd say it does, barely.

The synths sound psychotic at times, which is nice. :)
Odd unusual groove, which I like. :)
Has a sound/style, which could make it use for a flash-game or sth. Has texture of its own. :)

Overall, not a bad song, but it's pretty forgettable. The biggest issue is the sheer volume with the hi-hats. If you fixed that and made it a loop, it would make a big difference. There is originality in this song, though there are elements you overuse just a little bit overall.

cheezz responds:

Thanks, I always appreciate some constructive criticism. I agree with you about the hi hats, but unfortunately I can't change it now, having misplaced a considerable amount of the work :/